OSU Extension is committed to confronting racial injustice and ongoing systemic disparities around health, income, and opportunity. On June 3, 2020, we held a joint dialogue with representation from Human Resources, CFAES leadership, Extension Administrative Cabinet, and members of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force. There were 39 people participating in the conversation.
Goals of the meeting included:
Think about and process the aspects of current events
Listen to the voices of those present
Underscore the commitment of leadership to making a difference
Solicit ideas of what the next steps should be
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force will be holding a meeting on June 15 (1-2pm) to follow up on next steps for awareness and action. This is just the beginning of our work together.
Over the last year, we have:
- Initiated our Extension Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force (DEI).
- Held a dialogue session with Extension Administrative Cabinet and Extension DEI.
- Offered statewide training and support for reaching and supporting diverse audiences.
- Hosted monthly meetings with the Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) to continue to make progress on drafting a diversity action plan, improving accessibility, and improving training and resources for ensuring non-discrimination of employees and program participants.
- Reached out to the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to discuss potential partnering around community engagement efforts for improving race relations and confronting racial injustice and ongoing systemic disparities around health, income, and opportunity.
Over the next few months, we will:
- Work closely with Dr. Patrice Dickerson, the new CFAES assistant dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Include diversity, equity, and inclusion as a significant focus of our forthcoming Extension external review and strategic planning process (more information to come).
- Review recommendations from the Extension DEI Task Force and implement some action steps for making progress to look internally at our own level of awareness and action
- Continue to reinforce our values of respectful community engagement, lifelong learning, diversity in all of its forms, and the contributions of all people toward achieving organizational and societal goals
- On Monday, June 15, from 3-4:30pm, the Ohio State Office of Diversity and Inclusion will be holding its second virtual discussion about “The Role of the Land-Grant University in Addressing Racial Tensions.” University thought leaders from several colleges, campuses, and units will focus on current racial disparities and prospects for social change. Registration link: odi.osu.edu/role-land-grant-university-addressing-racial-tensions.
- Students, faculty members or staff may seek support resources or report incidents of harassment, discrimination or sexual misconduct to the Office of Institutional Equity at (614) 247-5838, email@example.com or equity.osu.edu.
- Faculty and staff can seek employee assistance through the Office of Human Resources.
- For additional resources, please visit the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, Office of International Affairs and Office of Student Life.