It’s always good to plan ahead for Ohio winter weather! Everyone should review the information below. If you have questions, contact Jeff McCutcheon, assistant director of Operations, directly at email@example.com.
In accordance with university policy during snowy and icy weather, the following short-term closing procedures must be followed for county-based Extension offices:
- Each office should have a proactive plan on how to keep the office open during severe weather when the county is not closed due to a Level 3 snow emergency or the commissioners close the building.
- If the county in which a person works is under an emergency Level 3 and the office is closed, then the employee is not required to report to work and would not be required to take vacation.
- If the county commissioners close the building where the Extension office is located (regardless of snow emergency level), then the employee is not required to report to work and would receive regular base pay.
- If an employee lives or travels through a county that is under a Level 3 snow emergency, but his or her office is located in a county not under a Level 3 and the county commissioners have not closed the building, and the employee chooses not to report to work, then that employee is required to take vacation or compensatory time. Details of these arrangements need to be determined by the employee and his or her immediate supervisor – before the need arises.
- Employees are encouraged to use their own best judgment in deciding whether to risk driving to the office in Level 1 or Level 2 snow emergencies. They cannot be forced to come to work; but if the office is open and he or she chooses not to report to work, then that employee is required to take vacation or compensatory time. Details of these arrangements need to be determined by the employee and his or her immediate supervisor – before the need arises.
- Office organization stewards are required to report to their area leader if the county is under a Level 3 snow emergency and/or if the county commissioners close the building where their office is located.
- Office organization stewards and area leaders may not close the office unless the above conditions are met for snow and/or severe weather emergencies and the closing is approved by either the assistant director of Operations or the director of Operations.