Travel Info

June 27, 2022
Travel TIPS:
  • 2022 mileage rate: $.585 January 1 to June 30; $.625 July 1 to December 31, 2022.
  • Use updated Ground Transportation LOG, Workday will calculate new mileage amount when date in Expense Lines is first day of travel from the LOG
  • Get travel in within 60 days
  • Use first travel date on log for expense line date
  • Only one month per LOG
  • IF BLANKET Spend Authorization is split to 2 LINES or more, can attach SAME LOG in EACH LINE, each line will use the different Worktags
  • SA= Spend Authorization- can only edit if no expenses have been put in, to add money to an existing (with expenses on it) =have to request new SA
  • ADD attached approval if using Worktags not in your approval hierarchy 


  • Pay for meals personally- get reimbursed via Per Diem (Pre-Trip for Spend Authorization/Post-Trip for Expense Report)
  • No need to use both 'Lodging' and 'Lodging with Fees and Taxes' for Expense Items–as one invoice is to be paid, this could be when you could use the Itemization section of the Expense Report to separate out if any expenses like “Parking” are on the invoice, input to its own Spend Category in Itemization
  • If not getting conference rate, check the GSA rates, allowable up to 1.5 times the standard
  • Determine estimated cost of overnight trip before Creating Spend Authorization: (mileage= personal miles; ground transportation= taxi, bus, shuttle, tolls; baggage (coming and going); lodging, registration, per diem, parking (airport? hotel?); remember to attach map and agenda that shows meals
  • Determine if needing cost comparison worksheet as an attachment: Driving vs Flying, Vacation in Conjunction with Business, international form for international travel
  • Expense PCard charges within 7 days of payment
  • University only pays for lowest reasonable expenses
  • CTP (Corportate Travel Planners) - must use CTP for “continuity of care” so the University can be involved in getting employees home should some disaster occur. Keep documentation from CTP in case of cancellations, if credit is issued put ER# of original charge in entry for the credit.

When is a Spend Authorization needed?

  • IF a one-day conference/meeting only has registration and travel involved- no need to tie the registration to a new SA, can use the Blanket travel SA and log to claim the mileage.
  • If a virtual conference/session- no travel, only registration- then the registration is considered non-travel and no SA needed- *** it’s important to clearly mark virtual in the business purpose and/or memo
  • If NO travel involved or claimed for a conference/session (held in your office or within same miles as commute) and registration is the only expense- then the registration is considered non-travel and no SA needed.

NOTE: Carpooling will need a separate SA, in case of expenses that could arise- as in last minute change of plans and have to drive after all, or if splitting cost of mileage, etc.

NOTE: when traveling on OSP grants submit a separate SA

What if the registration is internal and nothing to tie back to the SA in Workday?

  • The internal registration won’t get tied to the SA, but should still be reflected as an expected cost, so put your blanket SA# in the Expense Report for reimbursement.

How does the Spend Authorization get tied to the Expense Report put in for travel expenses?

  • When in Header page (first screen) of Create Expense Report- choose the 3rd radio button,  Create New Expense Report from Spend Authorization, then click the drop down arrow to choose the correct SA
  • See create-an-expense-report-for-yourself job aid
  • This brings in your payroll default Worktags. Make sure these are changed to match the SA or current funding source where you are expensing the travel

Do I have to fill out ITEMIZATION in the expense report?

  • Only needed when splitting out Spend Categories, such as hotel bills if they include parking, or other charges on the bill to be separated out to another SC (NOT to separate out fees/taxes)

If I use the PCard for registration, hotel or other travel expenses, how will that get tied back to my travel Spend Authorization?

How can I cancel a Spend Authorization?

    • In the case when F2F conferences have been cancelled or changed to ‘virtual’ conferences, the SA’s should be canceled, here’s the job aid: CANCEL A SPEND AUTHORIZATION
    • When the job aid mentions 'related actions' click on the 3 dots in the red header bar to get the ACTIONS gray column to show up- then you HOVER over the Spend Authorization… and should see next step, which must be to END


    Complete the Travel Comparison Worksheet prior to travel and attach to the Spend Authorization in the following situations:
    o Drive vs. Fly
    o Mileage vs. Rental Vehicle
    o Personal Travel in Conjunction with Business Travel