CFAES Give Today
Extension Operations

Ohio State University Extension


Spend Authorization Info

June 27, 2021

Travel Job Aids: Blanket In-State Mileage   and Overnight Travel use as a guide when creating Spend Authorization Number requests and expense reports.

Once a spend authorization is approved, travel related expenses must be submitted on an expense report within 60 days of the original expense occurrence, or it will be processed as taxable income.

Please note special instructions have been given to SNAP-Ed personnel due to the reduced mileage rate for that federal grant. If you have another grant with a reduced mileage rate, please consult with your CCM.

 Create a Blanket “Spend Authorization”

  • “Spend Authorization Information” section
    • Dates: Fiscal Year 202X- July 1, 202X- June 30, 202X
    • Description: type “Blanket spend authorization for in-state mileage”
    • Business Purpose: select “blanket travel”
    • Justification (required): this is the old “business purpose” field. Please be thorough with you justifications and address the business essential nature of the request and destination location.
  • Click “add” under “spend authorization lines”
    • The “Expense Item” will be “Mileage (Federal Rate)"
    • The quantity will be the number of miles you expect to travel, which will automatically populate a total amount for the request
    • Memo: type “in-state mileage”
    • Enter your Worktags
    • Origination and Destination locations are required. Most of our county seats are not listed as originations. For now, input “*All Other Continental US Locations, United States of America”
    • Number of trips: best estimate
    • Submit
      • Once submitted, your spend authorization will be reviewed for approval. Allow ample time.